What is Mindfulness Meditation?
Mindfulness meditation is the practice of skilled, non-judgmental awareness of the present moment.
Most of us spend vital energy and mental activity focused in the past or the future. We lose touch with our present-moment power. Not only does this compromise our ability to act, but it negatively affects our state of mind, and creates mental habits of longing for the past and obsessing or worrying about the future.
How does mindfulness training help?
When we learn mindful awareness of our thoughts, our emotions and our sensory experiences, and we practice working with what each moment offers, we can regain our strength, a feeling of being whole and calm, and sharpen our focus.
In mindfulness meditations, we pay attention to the present moment’s smallest details and learn not to react automatically to what we observe. These mental habits then spill over into our daily lives carrying with them a peaceful, more balanced and happier mindset, even in the face of challenges and upsets.
1. 6 Week Course (Monday evenings) – From Jealousy to Joy
“Jealousy is based on our incorrect interpretation of a situation. Jealousy leads us to say or do things which destroys others’ well-being and happiness. It makes us minipulative and dishonest.
The antidote to jealousy is to look at a situation with a more open and clear mind, considering not only our own happiness, profit and loss, but also that of others.
There can be a profound effect on our minds when we remember that others, like us, want happiness too.”
Open Heart, Clear Mind by Thubten Chodron
- Facilitator: Dave Sheehan
- Venue: 29 Swallow Hill, Helensvale, Borrowdale
- Dates: 6 Monday evenings September 28; October 5, 12, 19, 26; November 2 & 9 2015
- Times: 17.30 – 19.00 hrs
- Course Fee: $70 for the whole course, or whatever you can afford. Payment due at the beginning of the first session (please come 15min earlier on this day)
- What to Bring: Loose, comfortable clothing, own cushion for meditation (if you would prefer this to sitting on a chair). Notebook and pen. Warm clothing and light blanket for evening course recommended.
- Bookings (essential): email Dave Sheehan at zimsheehans [at] gmail.com
- NB. FINE PRINT: For either of these courses to be truly beneficial, participants need a preparedness/determination to allocate 20-45 minutes/day during the course to reflect on the teachings and practice the techniques. We will be endeavouring to change our mind’s deep habitual tendencies! This requires regular, concerted effort, ideally on a daily basis.
2. 6 Week Course (Saturday mornings)
- Presenters: Jayne Pilossof & Jane Soper
- Venue: Rokpa, 34 Quendon Rd, Monavale
- Dates: 6 Saturday mornings October 24-November 28 2015
- Times: 11.00 am – 1.00 pm each Saturday
- Cost: $60.00
- For further information & bookings please contact Jane Soper on janesoper67 [at] gmail.com or telephone 0772-141746
ALL PROCEEDS TO MINDFULNESS FOUNDATION OF ZIMBABWE TRUST