Kagyu Samye Ling Zimbabwe (Harare Buddhist Centre) has a BARDO GROUP formed by dedicated Buddhists. As Buddhists we believe in karma and in a continuous cycle of rebirths until we reach enlightenment. When our present life comes to an end, we enter the bardo, the intermediate state between this death and our next rebirth. Both dying and our passage through the bardo are difficult stages in the cycle of rebirths. Hence the BARDO GROUP endeavours to spiritually support the dying and the deceased with prayers and pujas (ritual practices).
The objectives of the Harare Buddhist Centre Bardo group
- To deepen our understanding of the dying process and of the passage through the bardo.
- To deepen our understanding of how to specifically prepare for our own death.
- To offer spiritual support to fellow sangha members during the dying process.
- To offer spiritual support to members – and to their loved ones
– Immediately after their death
– During their time in the bardo.
- To assist with arranging:
– Buddhist funeral ceremonies
– Buddhist re-birth ceremonies.
If you would like more information, please contact the coordinator, Maia Chenaux-Repond, +263-4-303591 (home) / +263-717-529459 (mobile) or any other member of the BARDO GROUP. The contact details of members are posted on our notice board or ask Wiseman Muganiri +263-4-304202 (mornings only) / +263-772-688988 (mobile) for our contact information.
Two Death Cafe meetings have taken place this year and which have been very well attended and received. Death and Dying are subjects which are somewhat taboo in our society. Yet one thing is certain in life: each one of us will one day have to face his or her death. To loosen the taboo a little, Death Cafés have been established in Europe and in the USA. These give people the opportunity – over delicious coffee and cakes – to express and discuss their ideas on questions such as “What is death like?”, “Why do we fear it?”, “How does our view of death affect the way we live?” Please contact Maia Chenaux-Repond if you would like to know more about these meetings.